Concussion Removal from Play/Return to Play Protocol
REMOVAL FROM ATHLETICS
- Require the immediate removal from athletics of any pupil that has or is believed to have sustained a concussion.
- No pupils will be allowed to resume activity until they have been symptom free for 24 hours and have been evaluated by and received written and signed authorization from a licensed physician.
- The school nurse must then approve the doctor's note.
Return to Play once symptom free for 24 hours and cleared by a doctor and the school nurse
- Day 1: Low impact, non strenuous, light aerobic activity
- Day 2: Higher impact, higher exertion, moderate aerobic activity.
- Day 3: Sport specific non-contact activity. Low resistance weight training with a spotter.
- Day 4: Sports specific activity, non-contact drills. Higher resistance weight training with a spotter.
- Day 5: Full contact training drills and intensive aerobic activity.
- Day 6: Return to full activities with clearance from school nurse.
- Any return of symptoms during the return to play protocol, the student will return to the previous day's activities until symptom free.