Creative Art - Assignments
- Unified poster - foil technique, foil technique 2, mandala maker, zentangle, Mandala in Illustrator
- Human figure proportion project - Renaissance/ da Vinci & Realism - choice of drawing or sculpture
- Portraiture Dos and Don'ts
- Watercolor Landscapes - impressionists and Post-Impressionists
- Impasto painting techniques
- Body art design- Japanese art
- Mask-making - sculpting over a mold, using fondant molds.
- Animal art: alligator, crocodile, 3D
- acrylic pouring with cels: vid 1, vid 2, metallic flip cup, flip cup 2
- floating/ marbleizing oil paint or acrylic on corn starch or nail polish
Jessica H, Jason R., Michael R, Maddy R, Gabby S: Yearbook Photography, Collage Portrait, Rotating Book- "Into the Woods," "Horses," "," "Wonder Woman," "Wild Things", clay and glass ornaments & oil pastel silhouette, copper repousse and scratchboard frame, window mural plan, koi painting, paint pour (if time)
Jamie H: Calligraphy, Collage Portrait, Portraiture- face and hair, pencil portrait & matting, head-to-toe figure drawing, light painting
Liz L: Collage Portrait Sculpture, Yearbook Photography, Rotating Book - "Nightmares", silhouette w/melted wax, wax sculpture over armature, koi painting, face casting- 2, 3 and mask
Ashley R: Calligraphy, Collage Portrait Box, Rotating Book - "Nature", pencil portrait, window mural acrylic painting plan, light painting, koi painting
Kylee S: Alien Oil Pastel, Flower line design, clay incense holder- bike ramps/obstacles, koi painting
Aaron: Collage Portrait Box, Acrylic Experiment, Melted wax experiment, garbage can painting, MLK chalk pastel drawing, light painting
Kyle C: Flower Surreal, Cubist Portrait, Clay and Glass sculpture, impasto portrait, plaster surreal sculpture
Sabrina P: Hair Drawing, Portraiture, Mixed Media with a message (inspiration Jaune Quick-to-See Smith), HRC painting
Danielle R: Reverse glass painting, Figure drawing with natural found objects, Watercolor experiments, script writing and composition
Lauren: portrait shading techniques
Caeley: cat drawing, text, mandala with foil technique, lettering
John M: Colored Pencil Flower Surreal, reverse glass painting, Abstract Expressionism, pencil experiments, repousse design
Devin M: Flower Surreal Drawing, Artwork using natural/ found objects, Skull and Flames Stained glass
Proj 1 - Reverse "Glass" Painting - Antique Photo Characters - Narrative Painting
For each project, it is expected that you learn something new about an artist, style or culture, something new about media/techniques, compositional tricks, and basically try to push your skills to the next level with a bit of risk. You may choose the projects we come up with together as a team, or propose an individual project. For individual projects, it is expected that you are part of the artist and technique research process.
- Design a sculpture made, at least partly, of natural item. Some resources may include Andy Goldsworthy, fairy houses, ceramics that use pressed in plant materials, etc.
- Develop a “portrait” of someone that is important to you. It may be a family member, celebrity, historical figure, and so on. You may include an image of the person, or it could be symbolic of their interests, heritage, personality, hobbies, etc. You may want to explore collage or assemblage. Interesting artists to see include Vincent Van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, Joseph Cornell, Jaune Quick-to-see Smith. We will learn several techniques, including gelli printing, gel photo transfer, collage, and calligraphy.
- Create an artwork that uses calligraphy or calligraphic line. Islamic art and Chinese and Japanese sumi painting are great resources.
- Develop a realism or observation-based Prismacolor colored pencil drawing of a subject of choice.
- Develop a surreal scene involving a flower or plant of some sort. Some interesting artists include Dorothea Tanning, Salvador Dali, Rene Magritte, Remedios Varo, Yves Tanguy
- Rotating Book - Develop a theme, Share your theme with group, each person will make a page to fit the other themes (as well as their own) using media of choice, students will them create their own modified accordion book and sculptural cover fitting their theme (Sculpey, texture, painting and drybrushing, found objects like gems and glass eyes)
- Silhouette - some choices include traditional portraiture, silhouette figure with oil pastel, watercolor, or oil paint background, string art, melted crayon art, etc. Silhouette brief history, Oil pastel rule of 3's, sample 1, sample 2, sample 3
- Glass Art: Ceramic with melted glass - this may include creating a holiday ornment, tray, dish, relief letter, ring dish, underwater creature, etc. Other choices might include a stained glass suncatcher, etched glass panel or mirror, or a fused glass pendant.
- Craft Ideas
- Window mural plan and forced perspective drawing. Example 1, Log 2, waves,
- Copper Repousse and Mixed Media "Frame" (scratchboard or roofing felt with colored pencils) - Greek, Roman, and Celtic art- example: sun repousse, armour
- Jewelry carving soapstone