High School Daily Announcements
Tuesday, January 22, 2019
It is an “A” day.
Please stand for the “Pledge to the Flag”. I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
We would like to wish a Happy Birthday to the following:
- Ryen Greiner
- Krystal Roberts
- Mr. Long
- Mr. Ritchie
Our lunch for today is:
- Build-A-Burger w/Tater Tots
- Nothing to report.
Word of the Week:
- Echo Chamber: an enclosed space where sound reverberates. 2. an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Book of the Week:
- #Republic by Cass R. Sunstein: As the Internet grows more sophisticated, it is creating new threats to democracy. Social media companies such as Facebook can sort us ever more efficiently into groups of the like-minded, creating echo chambers that amplify our views. It's no accident that on some occasions, people of different political views cannot even understand each other. It's also no surprise that terrorist groups have been able to exploit social media to deadly effect. Welcome to the age of #Republic. In this revealing book, Cass Sunstein, the New York Times bestselling author of Nudge and The World According to Star Wars, shows how today's Internet is driving political fragmentation, polarization, and even extremism―and what can be done about it. #Republic need not be an ironic term. As Sunstein shows, it can be a rallying cry for the kind of democracy that citizens of diverse societies most need.
Announcements for today are:
- Pitts’, period 4 class, should report to H156 w/Mrs. Palmer today.
- Flynn’s classes should report as follows today: Period 7 AUD & Period 8 CAFE w/Mrs. Kenline.
- Quinones, period 8 class, should report to H189 today.
- Cronin's Global students must bring their books to class today to work on your assignment after your unit test.
- Attention 9-12th graders: Wednesday, January 23, you will be voting during lunch for your two favorite dress up days. The two most popular choices will be dress up days for February 12th and February 14th during a Winter Spirit week. Feb 13th will be Orange and Black Day to recognize our winter athletes. You will be picking two choices from the following list: Pajama Day, Camouflage Day, Hat Day, Hawaiian Day, or Sports Jersey Day. If you do not eat Lunch 1 or 2, please see Mrs. Collis in Rm 203 for a ballot.
- Scholastic Bowl competes twice this week. Tomorrow night we are at WLVL 1340 AM or 105.3 FM. Tune in at 5:15. Our line-up will be Matt Borchert, Kaleb Delaney, Rileigh Dunn and Chloe Wiechec. The Bus will leave at 4:15 on Thursday. We compete at GCC. That line-up will be Kaleb Delaney, Lucy Molitor, Adrianna Militello, and Lucas Wick. And today's Trivia: Which European country is the least populous in the world? (P.M. only Ans: Vatican City)
- Attention cast of The Addam's Family: Please check the posted or google docs rehearsal updates for this week. Miss Alterio has posted her vocal rehearsal times.
- Attention students going to the Semi Formal waiting on faxed guest forms: The district fax machine has been out of order. Please contact your guest and have their school re-fax to 542-5058. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Tickets for this year’s semi-formal "Dancing Under the Stars" is on Saturday, January 26th. The last day to purchase tickets will be TODAY, January 22. Tickets are $10 a person. Get your ticket today!
- The Wellness Club will have a meeting TODAY, 9th period in room H227. We will be working on Wellness Day so anyone interested in helping is invited to attend. Please see Ms. Kaufmann or Mrs. Behringer with any questions.